Learn to play Japanese traditional harp “Koto”, with small tea ceremony
Koto is renowned for its healing tones and elegant shape. Play the koto and feel for yourself the echoes of antiquity that ring with each note.
Learning about koto
- Hear the rich story of koto, its history and the role it has played in Japanese music
- Listen to a professional demonstration of koto playing
- Learn about the particular tuning method of this unique instrument
The basics of playing koto
- Study a variety of koto playing styles
- Take time to explore the different playing styles and freely express yourself through the koto’s rich tones
- Learn how to read koto sheet music, based not on notes, but an easy to understand string-number relationship system
Your first koto performance
- Play the classic song Sakura Sakura, Cherry Blossoms Cherry Blossoms
- After your first performance, have a chance to be accompanied and perform your first koto duet
A moment to unwind and savor tea, sweets and music
- Experience the harmony of matcha (powdered green tea) and seasonal Japanese sweets
- As you refresh with a tradition Japanese tea, enjoy the rich tones of a live koto performance by the instructor
Koto workshops last for approximately 90 minutes
Policies and procedures
※Workshops are by reservation in advance only.
※Within 3 days of making a reservation, we will send out a confirmation e-mail. Upon receiving your confirmation e-mail, your reservation has been completed.
※While we do not anticipate any e-mail problems, were is that chance that an email message might be delivered to a bulk or junk-mail account. If you have not received a confirmation in 3 days, please send a reservation inquiry so we may follow up on the status of your reservation.
※All cancelation must be made by 12:00PM one day prior to the day on which the workshop is scheduled. If cancelations are not made by this time, due to preparation and scheduling costs, the full cost of the workshop must be payed.
Additional services available with the Koto workshop:
How to wear Kimono Workshop
To add additional services to a Koto workshop, please include a request for the additional workshops when making your reservation.